Industry-leading personalization and content library drive user preference for Wynk Music
· Regional music a key growth driver and now accounts for 26% of the over 3 billion monthly streams. Bhojpuri, Marathi, Kannada, Telugu, Gujarati and Odiya songs see a growth of over 150%
New Delhi, November 27, 2019: Wynk Music, the OTT music streaming app from Airtel, continues to see a surge in its popularity amongst smartphone users in India.
Airtel today said that, based on Oct 2019 data from App Annie, Wynk Music is now the #1 music streaming app in India in terms of Daily Active Users. The performance metric underlines the massive user preference for Wynk Music when it comes to consuming music on smartphones.
Says Adarsh Nair, Chief Product Officer, Bharti Airtel: “The team is focused on building the most personalized music experience for our customers. Wynk’s deep catalog of songs combined with a holistic understanding of our customer’s preferences allows us to build an incredible product. And Airtel users get a free subscription to millions of songs in Wynk through the Thanks program.”
Regional music emerging as the next powerhouse
While Bollywood and International music continue to be the biggest categories on Wynk Music, it is Indian regional music that is witnessing the fastest growth. Overall, there has been a 75% surge in the number of users streaming regional music.
With increasing smartphone adoption in Tier 2 and 3 towns and rural areas, the demand for regional language songs and local artists is seeing a massive surge. More and more users in these markets are getting online for entertainment and discovering music on apps vs pirated music loaded on their devices.
Wynk offers music in 14 Indian languages and regional songs now account for 26% of the overall 3 billion-plus monthly streams on the app. Songs in Oriya, Gujarati, Assamese, Marathi, Telugu, and Bhojpuri have seen 150%+ growth and are also popular outside the home states as well. Interestingly, Bhojpuri music is also seeing strong uptake amongst urban youth in metros like Delhi.
“Regional content is clearly the new HERO as more users come online and look for content that is relevant to them. We aim to invest disproportionately for further expanding our regional content library and work with local artists to bring them to the online world of music.” added Adarsh Nair.
The Wynk Music journey:
· Sept 2014: Launched in India; crosses 1 lakh downloads in 4 days
· Feb 2015: Crosses 5 million app downloads
· June 2015: Launches Data Save Mode
· Nov 2015: Crosses 12 million installs
· Jan 2016: Introduces MP3 Player Function- Plays Local MP3 files
· Mar 2017: Crosses 50 million installs
· Jan 2018: Crosses 75 million installs
· Dec 2018: Voted India’s most entertaining app on Playstore
· Jan 2019: Crosses 100 million installs